I have an unfortunate tendency to volunteer for things that I shouldn't. I'd like to think that I'm setting more realistic limitations for myself as I get older. But then I do things like agree to dog-sit for a family across town for 15 days. We're halfway through that commitment, and it has proven quite the nuisance.
I like some dogs, and I definitely like these dogs, but I do not like driving across town three times a day, or sleeping away from home, or waking up extra early, or cleaning up muddy prints on white carpet. I do not like pet fish, or getting scratched by the horrible cat. And most of all, I do not appreciate when the dogs in question find a way to unlatch the back gate and escape for 28 hours, as occurred last Friday afternoon. We were sick with worry, and didn't know where to look, and it was snowing of course. The owners were supportive, and the neighbors were very helpful, and the little neighbor girl finally located the half-starved, hypothermic mutts stuck in a fenced field on Saturday night. We brought them home and they collapsed into bed and didn't move for two days. They have an unfortunate penchant for escaping and running wild. But how could we ever be mad at pups this cute?
I like some dogs, and I definitely like these dogs, but I do not like driving across town three times a day, or sleeping away from home, or waking up extra early, or cleaning up muddy prints on white carpet. I do not like pet fish, or getting scratched by the horrible cat. And most of all, I do not appreciate when the dogs in question find a way to unlatch the back gate and escape for 28 hours, as occurred last Friday afternoon. We were sick with worry, and didn't know where to look, and it was snowing of course. The owners were supportive, and the neighbors were very helpful, and the little neighbor girl finally located the half-starved, hypothermic mutts stuck in a fenced field on Saturday night. We brought them home and they collapsed into bed and didn't move for two days. They have an unfortunate penchant for escaping and running wild. But how could we ever be mad at pups this cute?
This is a Carolina dog, one of the coolest breeds ever. Also known as the American Dingo, these wild dogs were first discovered in the wetlands of the South in the 1970s.
This guy has no such claim to fame, but he is a cutie. And apparently a skilled killer of cats, chickens, and pet rabbits. We'll get a better picture of them one of these days.
While we waited for word of the dogs' return on Saturday afternoon, we took advantage of the beautiful weather to visit nearby Jacksonville, known for the "Applegate Wine Trail" collection of vineyards. We went, we drank, we looked at the mountains, and we bought some wine. Then we regained sobriety with some giant hamburgers and a walk through the wilderness trail, which boasted a carpet of early-blooming wildflowers.
1 comment:
cute puppies!!! And what a dog-sitting adventure. I had a friend take my dogs for a walk last week when I was out of town and Gracie escaped. Luckily she was only missing for 5 minutes, but still!!
Happy Birthday and thanks for keeping us updated with all these posts!
Post a Comment