Sunday, May 31, 2009

Geographic Disorientation

Guess where we went yesterday...
The Illinois River! So named by some pioneers from Peoria who (foolishly, insanely!) missed their homeland. We don't miss the homeland, but we do love this gorgeous, dramatic waterway.

We hiked past hordes of inebriated teenagers to reach a secluded waterfall and good swimming hole. Look for Jake leaping off the rock below...
The air was nearly 100* and the water was perfectly exhilerating. Also, there were many butterflies, doing their mating thing (I assume; isn't that all animals do?). We've just been informed that there is a rare butterfly reserve near our town, so perhaps will investigate soon.
In other news, it has rained all day with sun in the sky and lightning in the mountains. Enchanting.

For interested parentals, I've stored up some photos of cool Oregon wildflowers. They're in an album called Nature Stuff.

3 comments:

Jane said...

I'm sure that even though you don't miss your "homeland" of Illinois, you do miss all the family you have living here!

I have to view the photos albums at home now -- we are locked out at work -- ridiculous!

Maman

Jane said...

I left comments on some of your photos.

Anonymous said...

Why haven't I seen any photos and posts about swimming in swimming holes? I need some vicarious high altitude splashing?
-Jeff